"the Truth at any cost"

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Crisis Averted...for Now

Last week I was depressed for a few days. I was pretty worried. I mean, I know its only depression if it lasts a couple weeks, but I didn't have the will to do anything.
Anyway, at the end of it all I realized that I am in a unique and frightening position. Let me briefly explain: I have a certain view of what philosophy is, what it is for, etc. I love science, don't get me wrong, but I think philosophy is a separate realm from science. Some philosophers do not, they are the radical empiricists.
Radical empiricists believe that philosophy is to be executed empirically, or scientifically.
To me, this wouldn't be, by definition, philosophy anymore. It would fall appropriately into the realms of cognitive science, neuroscience, and/or quantum physics.
So what does this mean? If I decided to become a radical empiricist, I wouldn't believe philosophy had a point anymore. So it seems I would have to drop out of school and go do something else with my life. And thus, when I read a really good paper by Hilary Kornblith (a radical empiricist) last week, I was depressed. Am I wasting two years of my life?
I got over that, but my point is, again, I am in a unique and frightening position, philosophically at least. If I change a certain philosophical view that I have, my life threatens to be superfluous. Its quite a bit of a leap of faith, I suppose.
Anyway, its finals next week. I have to get back to work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things:
1) I think Philosophy is considered a social science for that very reason.

2) I'm pretty bad when it comes to speaking of ones beliefs or common truths. All you can really do is reassure yourself of what was once your "right." If you feel wrong, then try to understand why you're not right. I can't really decide if you're wrong or not for you, I have no idea if I'm right myself.

11/27/2007 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home