"the Truth at any cost"

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Religious Freedom

The event that prompts this post is, I'll admit, a bit outdated. Remember that raid on the Fundamentalist Mormon sect (known as FLDS)? Let me recap for a second in case you forgot. A teenage girl called an anonymous tipline to say that she had been abused on the ranch (Yearning for Zion, I believe it is called, if you'd like to wikipedia it). Alright, so that was good, right? She worked up the courage to call out whomever this asshole who abused her was, and hopefully he will be thrown in jail.
But no. Instead, the next day, the powers that be invade the ranch, and take over 400 children away from their families! Because of a phone call?
Think about a regular community, like Traer, or in Ohio like Berea. A girl is abused and calls the proper authorities. Would the police raid every home in the town and take away all legal minors? Hell no!

What I am saying is that I am with the FLDS on that case--apparently the Supreme Court of the state of Texas was, too. One phone call does not warrant taking hundreds of children away from their home. It was, clearly, an issue of religious discrimination. People think the FLDS is bizarre (which it is), and maybe even barbaric, because they allow polygamy, and they pretty openly think men are better than women. Not to mention, they tried to go off and live on their own! How dare they!
Well listen, the fact is, just like freedom of speech, when you have a country with freedom of religion, you have to let the weirdos in.
The state claimed their right to take away the children, because they feared them being 'socialized' to become abusive. The courts rejected this as too broad.

Ok, so thats my opinion on that case. But it brings up some interesting questions about freedom of religion that I just don't know the answer to.
Freedom of speech laws have had many famous court cases to sort how far it goes. Basically anything that isn't obscene (as defined by the Law) is free. But what about freedom of religion? It seems intuitive that we would want a vast range of freedom of religion--but then cases like the FLDS weaken those intuitions. Religious pacifists don't have to fight in wars; this seems fair. Can a religion be openly racist? I would say that should probably be allowed, for similar reasons as freedom of speech. Where do we set the limits? Any suggestions? We can play it safe up in abstract theory land to simplify things.

The second question I have is about organized religions vs. non-organized religions. If the law is willing to grant religious people exceptions from obligations, which they ought to, why can't irreligious people have the same perks? Ok yes, you shouldn't get to avoid draft because its inconvenient, but that isn't exactly what I'm saying.
What I am saying is that, I don't belong to any religious group. But I have ethical standards I take just as seriously as devoutly religious people. Why should I be legally obliged to do something I consider unethical, if religious people don't? And how many members does a church need to have before their beliefs are accepted?
Certainly we can imagine strange religions which would bring serious problems--like a religion which had a compulsory communion of LSD or another illegal substance. The government has let this type of thing go with certain Native American religions; why couldn't a new start-up religion be just as valid?
I'm not asking these questions in order to cheat the system--I'm just trying to consider a principled way to give equal rights to all religious and non-religious people, regardless of their particular faith's popularity, normality, or age. And this question is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. Any takers?

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that what the government did to intervene was rather brash. These people are polygamous, which I don't consider unethical unless the parties involved aren't participating voluntarily. I could see where housing and practically farming families seems a bit crude or wrong, but at its foundation it's probably not. This is just a chosen way of life.

I guess this is where we ask the question of how far are we to let our government in to regulate certain "religious" sects. Because one child cries for help, that doesn't mean they are all in danger. And as far as we have seen from the media coverage, the women really played no part in the sexual abuse of the one child.

What bothers me is that I can understand WHY they took the mothers away from their children. I don't say that it's right. It was probably for the act of interrogation and to make sure the mothers wouldn't do/plan/say anything to jeopardize the truth that the youngsters had to offer officials. That, and they probably felt the need to examine and interview these kids to make sure they were psychologically fit. I have my fingers crossed that this is what they did. They could've done anything, really.

I don't know if religion plays a part in it. If there was a family on a commune, each with different religous beliefs, and the same thing happened- a child cries for help from rape/abuse/molestation- I can bet that the government would have intervened the same way and then no religion would be involved at all. It's like when a child in a nuclear family of four tells the counselor that daddy beats him. The cops show up. Daddy disappears. The kid gets a medical examination. His little sister too, for rape. And the mom gets interviewed through tears. It's just the way it goes. Should they intervene at all?

Did these people get to return to their daily lives? Was the perpetrator caught? This is what concerns me.

freerice.com says:
CORRECT!
gynandromorph = hermaphrodite
I caught this site a while ago but I'm a little disappointed because the amount of rice I donate I feel won't go a very long way. Let's hope.
sesquipedalian = using long words
(I always thought that one was funny)

Hey, I'm trying Vegetarianism, eating a lot of cheese so that my stomach ulcer doesn't flare up, and now my poop is green! Is this normal?!

Hope that Ohio is going well for you and your missus.

8/17/2008 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home