"the Truth at any cost"

Monday, May 21, 2007

Goodbye Music, Hello Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

So...the band that I am in went to Des Moines this weekend and recorded 12 songs for what hopefully will become an album. I don't really know what will come of it...maybe we will make 10 copies, and maybe 100. Its not really important.
I'd like to take a survey. I want to know the reasons why people play in bands. To me, it has always been to write and play music that I loved. To create. This seems innocent, and obviously true.
But if this is so clear, why do people whom I talk to focus so much on fame and fortune? The band I am in could never get famous...we go against the principles of fame. We aren't catchy, we have very few 'hooks', we aren't very pleasant on the ears. The conclusion to most laypeople would be that we suck--we aren't good enough to sound like a band you would hear on the radio. We CAN'T write hooks, we CAN'T put together verse-chorus-verse songs. We CAN'T be pretty. But this assumes that our ultimate goal, our ultimate desired end is fame or money.
To be sure, this isn't just 'laypeople', and I'm not just insulting you for not 'getting it'. Because there are a million bands out there that are the same way. Believe me! I have heard the words "Listen, if any label is going to take a second glance at us we are going to need a few singles!" spoken without a hint of sarcasm. Now my band is breaking up, as I am moving to Cleveland in the fall. And to certain bands this may seem like a failure. We never got off the ground. Hell, we didn't even have a MySpace account! That is just poor marketing.
But to me, we have succeeded. We will have a recording of all of our work, and damn them if they can't enjoy music for music's sake. I don't know. Am I alone here? Sometimes I think I might be, when my own close-knit group of musicians has a traitor in its roost.

In summary, I don't care that I won't get famous. When art stops being done for art's sake, I question whether it is even art anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home