"the Truth at any cost"

Friday, May 11, 2007

Gay Marriage

Emily and I finished Angels in America by Tony Kushner last night. It is a brilliant piece of art, 6 hours long but all worth it (I would suggest dividing it up into 2 or 3 nights however).
Anyway, it reminded me also I wanted to post something about gay marriage.

Chances are most people who read my blog are pro-gay marriage, so this might be like preaching to the choir. But that aside, let me explain why I think gay marriage should be legal:
A lot of Christians think homosexuality is a sin. That seems to be the argument behind why gay marriage should remain illegal. And most gay rights activists respond to this strangely--they try to argue that it is not a sin, or immoral, or something along those lines. Well, I do personally think the bible is pretty clear that homosexuality is a sin, but whether or not this is true is really all beside the point. See in the wonderful nation of U.S.A, we have a policy called "separation of church and state". This means that even if God came down to Earth and clarified that homosexuality IS a sin, it would theoretically mean nothing to the government. Biblical scholars may unanimously shout out that homosexuality is a sin (which they don't), but none of that is important. Because the government has no business in putting ethics into law. There is no good argument I have ever heard against gay marriage. If it is immoral, so be it. Immoral is not a sufficient reason to make something illegal, especially when it does no damage to others. If the churches don't want to marry homosexuals, that is certainly up to them.
Oh yeah, I guess there is the 'sacred bond between a man an a woman' response. But this is either based on church teachings (which makes it irrelevant), or just plain false. What is sacred about arranged marriages between old men and 13 year olds? Should we go back to those days simply because of 'tradition'?

Now this is where most people will probably lose me...but what business does the government have in marriage anyway? It shouldn't be part of the public sphere if you ask me. Marriage should be between the church and people. --what about the tax breaks and stuff? Well, either get rid of those, or give it to everyone, or something else. I'm not sure what motivation the government has anymore in wanting people to get married anyway. That is just another moment of legislating morals.
Privatize marriage...now thats a true libertarian idea....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home