"the Truth at any cost"

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Moral Holiday

Ok, so here is one we can all enjoy.

I am what I like to call a "moral prude". Maybe its because of my Catholic upbringing. Maybe I just overanalyze. Either way, I either a) Think a much greater percentage of decisions in life than other people are moral decisions (for example, buying things), or b) have values vastly different than 97% of people in society. This is not to say I am a better person than 97% of other people, or that my values are completely and utterly right (though I obviously think so, otherwise I would change them). I do things I consider to be immoral everyday. Constantly. I am no better of a person than anyone else I know, but I am just talking theoretically here. Many things I consider to be immoral are just a non-issue to other people, and it makes me feel like an asshole for even bringing them up.
Obviously, trying to live up to my own moral standards is implausible at best. And it is very stressful to go against the grain all the time, especially when 'the grain' is the very people you love the most.
But lately I have been trying harder to gradually shift to the lifestyle I think I should be living. I am going to try to start hardcore recycling again. I am trying to ensure that I don't buy anything that comes from sweatshop labor. Eventually, I want to buy food that doesn't support terrible things in other countries and near-slave labor. It is a slow and tough process, especially when one feels alone in the process.
Anyway, with all the stress that is building up I don't want to explode on friends and family, accusing them of not supporting me and surrounding my life with immoral behavior--because that would be the stress talking. But I also don't want to give up and just go along with social norms because its easier that way. I for the first time in my life am working with a normative ethical theory that I believe in. I don't want to throw it away because its inconvenient.
This is really all a preface to my real question: Is it ever justified to take a moral holiday? I realize that no matter what we can't always be moral, but is it ever moral to allow yourself to be immoral?
Let's say I quit eating fast food because it creates a large amount of unnecessary waste. Am I ever morally justified in eating at Hardee's because a group of my friends is going there and I am hungry? Wouldn't it be arrogant to just say "Oh, I don't support this place. I am waiting in the car." Or is it the same (though far less extreme) than waiting in the car at a whorehouse or something standardly thought of as morally worse?
I do not know of any philosophical literature on this, but I would be interested in reading some. But I am also curious to see what you have to say. What do you think?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Coltrane said...

Have you ever seen the show "Sports Night"? It's brilliant and can borrow it from me anytime. Anyway, in one of the episodes one of the characters, Dan, takes a break from all his moral obligations because it's too much of a burden to follow everyday. I think it's great what you are doing. I know as much I would love to do it, I'm a too shallow of a person to give up such things. Anyway, I don't think it's wrong from time to take a "holiday" from your beliefs. I don't thank any can live up to the standards that are given to us. At times I wonder why we even try. All we can do is try our best. If from time to time we need to take a break then that's ok. It doesn't change who you are. You will still be a good person if you were a good person before. I have no idea if I'm making sense but really we all need a vacation from time to time. physically and emotionally.

3/25/2007 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had roughly the same thoughts as Beth when I read this, starting with the sports Night reference.

4/01/2007 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One should act in any way they feel is right as long as they hurt no one including themself.

The people around you, all though it may seem difficult, should be willing and able to accept your lifestyle choice just as you do theirs. What you are doing is not harmful or wrong. It is a choice that even promotes money and time to places which deserve it such as companies that do not underpay their workers as well as the wonderful concept that is recycling.

You must also differentiate between practice and occasion. Just as many a religious belief says, we are not empty of sin, we are all capable of mistake. All though you do not "support" Hardee's regularly(ie), buying the occasional something is not ultimately wrong. If you are hungry, eat! If you're not hungry, wait until you get home...
THEN YOU CAN EAT SOME PITA AND HUMMUS YOU FUCKING HIPPIE.
(joke)
(I love hummus)

I can empathize as my lifestyle seems to already be incredibly different from many to them, whereas it is rather plain. Examples:
diet
- no red meat, little meat at all
- no fast food
- organic food as much as possible, otherwise avoid unhealthy choices
otherwise
- no TV
- I prefer no computer, but here I am
- no serious drugs, no synthetics, no antidepressants
- very little drinking

I do not choose these things because they are "right," I just know myself well enough to accept what I believe is best for me. A lot of people can't see what's truly best for their health and person, and if they could, they might be making similar decisions.

We could go on the economical side of how fast food sucks and no one really should eat most of it, but that's not something we can control people with. I hear it's unconstitutional to tell people what they can and can't do within free will. (quick! someone tell congress.)

I would like to add that Matt informed me today that NYC outlawed Trans Fats in their restaurants. Ridiculous. Pointless!

4/26/2007 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home