"the Truth at any cost"

Monday, June 18, 2007

Flags at Half-Mast

If there is something I generally believe, it is that doing something over and over again makes it become meaningless. When everything is 'amazing', hearing you say it doesn't mean anything. It goes the same for when everything 'sucks'.

And I'm not just talking about phrases. I swear that 90% of the time the Old Capitol building is flying at half mast. Listen: People die. And it is a sad event. But save flying the flag at half-mast for a world leader's asasination or something! Not when some guy who's wife used to work at the Java House in the IMU dies.
When I see the flag flying at half-mast, I think it should be the death of someone whom at least 40% of the community has heard of. That is my new rule. Go--petition the Board of Regents.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger isley910 said...

look dude, you spelled assassination wrong. did you ever try and ask why they are flying the flag half-staffed? maybe its a nation-wide sign of discontent for the war in Iraq, or commemorating those who've fallen from the horrible batch of Bagle Bites that has devastated our country so badly. i say, do your homework preston...

6/21/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The flag flying at half-mast might not mean anything to you (I'm surprised you noticed--I admit I rarely do), but that's the sort of thing that means a lot to a family who has lost someone. It doesn't bring their loved one back, but it's like a big university-wide sympathy card.

6/23/2007 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...the more you look at the same exact thing, the more the meaning goes away, and the better and emptier you feel. " -Andy Warhol

I'm sure I told you this quote before.

I recently started thinking of death really to be more like population control...
...You could say I've become a cynic. Sigh.

6/24/2007 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home