"the Truth at any cost"

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Nietszche

I should have known a man with 4 consecutive consonants in his name would be the root of all evil. I am about 50 pages into "The Will to Power", which would have been Nietszche's magnum opus, had he decided to piece together the scraps into some kind of coherent whole. But, he went nuts, so, well, shucks--we have to deal with what some editor did with a series of notebooks full of incoherent thoughts.

I will give him that I have only read a tenth of the book--so maybe I am being biased. But this guy sucks. I would blame Nietzsche for Nazi Germany--reading "The Will to Power" is like reading the Third Reich.
You see, Nietzsche thinks that 'morals' are a human invention to try to justify our 'weakness'. To Nietzsche, treating people fairly, giving them rights, assuming other people as equals, etc.--these are all signs of weakness. He is a radical social Darwinist--he says that we are going against nature by helping out those in need--the strong man would say to the weak 'perish!' and be done with them. I induce from this that emotions are pretty much worthless as well.
Forget that Darwin wouldn't endorse this, and that Nietzsche had no scientific backing. And listen--I'm ok with people holding radical views, I really am. But at least somehow justify them. Nietzsche treats everything as a fact. All of this is stated assertively, there are no arguments--not even weak ones.
I guess the only sense in which Nietzsche's ideas are 'dangerous' is to people who assume everything they read is true, because I find it hard to believe any intelligent person would buy into this.

But hey. Maybe I'm just missing something. I guess I'll keep reading.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Try reading some earlier stuff...
before insanity set in.

6/18/2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger Preston said...

Will do.

6/18/2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa Ward said...

I have heard ("heard" because I sang it in German and wasn't worried about translating) that "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" (Also Sprach Zarathustra) reads much like a novel and less like a philosophical text. I've never read it, so can't attest to readability, but I have it on my bookshelf and I would like to read it (someday).

6/21/2007 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home